Best of Brunch : San Diego
2017 End of Year - Gals That Brunch: SD x THE Brunch SHOWDOWN
Now that Gals That Brunch - San Diego has had a full year of Brunching under our belts it was time to reflect on all of our Brunchie Adventures + the San Diego Brunch Scene over this past year.
With 12 MONTHS + 48 possible WEEKENDS we have dedicated our year to finding the very best brunch spots in San Diego while bringing together gals in our city in the <3 of building community. And well gals + guys not only did we get to meet over 1000 unique individual amazing women we made it to a total of 55 Brunch Establishments!!!! Surely you must be thinking "they gotta run out of brunching spots soon" WELL we're here to say we are just getting started....
This list is a comprehensive look at the establishments we visited in 2017, 2018 spots will be added next quarter ;) . And from the bottom of our hearts, we'd like to thank all the restaurants that participated in our Brunching research and community impacts :) - we LOVE you guys and are so grateful for all the relationships that have gotten to be established this year...
With out further ado...
Our Top 5 Brunch Places of 2017... GTB Brunch Showdown Style!!
1,000's of gals, one voice, crafted with 4 Categories in mind...
(1) Food + (2) Drinks + (3) Service + (4) Ambiance
- Trust (Hillcrest) - With a focus on locally sourced ingredients & serving urban rustic food, it's no surprise they have landed at #1 this quarter. Their focus on consistency, execution and quality truly sets them apart. Fun Fact: the same owners that brought Trust to the food scene also opened a new establishment this year nearby called @Hundred Proof different menus but similar in some ways + great service) Menu Recommendations (Seasonal) - Sweet: LEMON MERINGUE FRENCH TOAST | Savory: SMOKED PORK SHOULDER HASH
- Queenstown Public House (Little Italy) - A New Zealand inspired eatery located in a whimsical historical - house turned restaurant. Menu Recommendations - Sweet: ELVIS STYLE WAFFLE Complete with bacon, grilled bananas & a peanut butter mouse that is heavenly | Savory: A tie between the LAMB HASH or the "OINK" both are decadent <3
- Karl Strauss (Sorrento Valley) - A hidden treasure tucked away in the middle of a business park, however... once discovered you are immediately transported into a serene, and magical brunch experience. As you might imagine, our gals have just about every dietary restriction you could imagine, and the Karl Strauss Craft Beer Brunch Buffet way surpassed everyone's expectations- it had something that any GF, DF or Veggie might enjoy.
- La Bonne Table (Hillcrest) - A quaint French cuisine restaurant situated in the heart of hillcrest ran by the sweetest Husband + Wife team. They typically just host brunch on Sundays however they especially opened for us on a Saturday Morning and everything was divine. Everything is house-made, accompaniments picked from their garden, freshly baked bread - the works!! Menu Recommendations - Sweet: PAIN PERDU AU NUTELLA | Savory: LE CANARD DUCK CONFIT HASH OR THE CREPE FORESTIERE
- World Famous (Pacific Beach) - Because can you ever beat brunch with an ocean view? We think not, World Famous is a PB staple, great brunch, eats & happy hours happenings. + We had one of our largest events here, and the service was AMAZING! Thank you WF Team! Menu Recommendations - Sweet: BEACH HOUSE PANCAKES | Savory: MAINE LOBSTER BENEDICT OR THE STEAK ARRACHERA BENEDICT (because' hey we're Benedict lovin gals)
Hungry for more?! San Diego - Gals That Brunch visited over 55 Brunch Spots in 2017, you betcha we have some more shout-outs <3
Team Mimosa or Bloody Mary?
Best Bloody Mary? Favorite Mimosas?
1. Fruit Craft (Hillcrest) 1. Frozen Guava Mimosa @ Miss B's (Mission Beach)
2. Barley Mash - Bloody Mary Bar (Gaslamp) 2. Mimosa Flights @ Crushed (Crushed)
3. California Greenin - Café 21 (Gaslamp) 3. Pineapple Orange Kale Mimosa @ Isabels (PB)
4. Barn Yard - Farmers Table (La Mesa) 4. Bubbly Pop @ Brooklyn Girl (Popsicle mimosa) (Mission Hills)
Favorite Brunch Cocktails
1. Cereal Milk @ Brooklyn Girl (Mission Hills)
2. Peter Rabbit Mimosa @ Herringbone (La Jolla)
3. Unicorn @ West Coast Tavern (North Park)
4. Hola Screwdriver @ Barrio Star (Bankers Hill)
1. Drag me to Brunch @ Gossip Girl (Hillcrest)
2. Brunch Tunes @ The Roxy (Encinitas)
3. PJ Brunch @ The Hills (La Mesa)
Best Bottomless Mimosas?/Champagne Deal:
1. Herringbone/Searsucker (La Jolla/Delmar)
2. Wonderland (Ocean Beach)
3. Gossip Girl (Hillcrest)
4. Pardon My French (Hillcrest)
5. El Camino (little italy)
6. West Coast Tavern (North Park)
Best Chicken & Waffles?
1. Chicken & Bacon Waffles - Pardon my French (Hillcrest)
2. West Coast Tavern (North Park)
3. Pancakes & Fried Chicken @ Trust (Hillcrest)
Best Brunch Deal w/ Entree:
1. Banzai (Point Loma/Midway) - breakfast meal + bottomless mimosas & bloody marys for 20$
2. Miguels (Old Town) - $2 mimosas with entrée
Service Team Shout-Outs
1. Justin & Camille @ Fruit Craft (Hillcrest)
2. Tarryn @ Miss Cocunut B's (Mission Beach)
3. Mark & Valerie @ Hundred Proof (Hillcrest)
4. Danielle @ Broken Yolk (Pacific Beach)
5. Eric @ Pardon My French (Hillcrest)
1. Asparagus Omelette @ La Bonne Table (Hillcrest)
2. Shrimp Frittata @ Fig Tree Café (Pacific Beach)
3. Southwestern Omelet @ Claires on Cedros (Solana Beach)
4. Roasted Broccoli Omelet @ Claires on Cedros (Solana Beach)
1. Herringbone (La Jolla)
2. Pacific Coast Grill (Pacific Coast Highway)
3. Queenstown (Little Italy)
4. Karl Strauss (Sorrento Mesa)
1. Lemon Meringue @ Trust (Hillcrest)
2. Monkey Bread @ Trust (Hillcrest)
3. Pain Perdu au Nutella @ La Bonne (Hillcrest)
3. French Toast Sampler @ Fig Tree (Pacific Beach)
4. Pancake flights @ Snooze (del mar)
5. Pancake flights @ breakfast republic (north park)
6. Tiramisu French Toast @ Pardon My French (Hillcrest)
7. Homer's Donut Pancake @ Werewolf (Gaslamp)
Best Mexican Inspired Brunch Dish?
1. Chilaquiles @ Crushed (Pacific Beach)
2. Lobster Huevos Rancheros @ Pacific Coast Grill (Pacific Coast Highway)
3. Papas Borrachas @ Barrio Star (Bankers Hill)
4. Breakfast Quesadilla @ Isabels (Pacific Beach)
5. Short Rib Machacha Plate @ Wonderland (Ocean Beach)
6. Juans Breakfast Tacos @ Snooze (Delmar)
Battle of the Breakfast Mac?
1. The Roxy (Encinitas)
2. Breakfast Republic (North Park)
1. Carne Asada Benedict @ Wheat & Water (Bird Rock)
2. Lobster Benedict @ World Famous (Pacific Beach)
3. Fried Chicken & Biscuits Benedict @ Pacific Coast Grill (Pacific Coast Highway)
4. Short Rib Benedict @ Farmers Table (La Mesa)
5. Bella! Bella! Benny @ Snooze (Del Mar)
Favorite GF friendly?
1. Claire's on Cedros (Solana Beach)
2. Trust (Hillcrest)
3. Fig Tree (Pacific Beach)
4. The Cottage (La Jolla)
Favorite Veggie Brunch Item?
1. Soy Chorizo Scramble @ Isabels (pacific beach)
2. Veggie Hash @ Miss Coconut Bs (mission beach)
3. Tuscan Bendict @ Claires on Cedros (solana beach)
4. Green Scramble @ Claires on Cedros (solana beach)
5. Vegan Glazed Hash @ Great Maple (hillcrest)
6. Nopales & Soyrizo @ Farmers Table (la mesa)
Breakfast Pizza Battle?
1. Bird Rock Breakfast Pizza @ Wheat & Water (Bird Rock)
2. Hen Egg Pizza @Trust (Hillcrest)
3. Breakfast Pizza @ Brooklyn Girl (Mission Hills)
4. Morning delight @ Crushed (Pacific Beach)
Best Avo Toast:
1. Avocado Toast @ Fruit Craft "Toasted Malted Brown Bread, melted Parmesan cheese, fruit jelly, topped with roasted tomatoes & of course avocado" (Hillcrest)
2. Avocado Toast @ Trust (Hillcrest)
3. Stone Crab Avocado Toast @ Wheat and Water (Bird rock)
4. Toast Flights @ West Coast Tavern (north park)
5. Avocado Toast @ Crushed (Pacific Beach)
1. Pardon My French (Hillcrest)
2. "Donuts" @ Great Maple (Hillcrest)
Favorite Savory Dishes:
1. Crepe Forestiere @ La Bonne Table (Hillcrest)
2. Smoked Pork Shoulder Hash @ Trust (Hillcrest)
3. Beef Short Rib Hash @ Pardon My French (Hillcrest)
4. Le Canard Duck Confit Hash @ La Bonne Table (Hillcrest)
5. Crossaint Sandwhich @ Hundred Proof (University Heights)
6. Shrimp & Grits @ Breakfast Republic (North Park)
7. Lamb Hash @ Queenstown (Little Italy)
8. Breakfast Boar Sliders @ The Hills (La Mesa)
Biggest Surprise Brunch?
1. Wheat and Water (Bird Rock)
2. La Bonne Table (Hillcrest)
3. Barrio Star (Bankers Hill)
4. Bull & Grain (Hillcrest) (closed)
5. Wonderland (Ocean Beach)
Best Breakfast Potatoes in San Diego?
1. Hands Down Patatas Bravas @ Fruit Craft "potatoes with red pepper salsa, shredded smoked gouda, & fried egg" (Hillcrest)
2. Hashbrowns @ Snooze (Delmar)
3. Smashed Potatoes @ Hundred Proof (University Heights)
4. Potatoes @ Wheat & Water (Bird Rock)
5. Truffle Potatoes @ Fig Tree (Pacific beach)